Crowdcast is an awesome live video platform for creators to host webinars, livestreams, summits and more. Crowdcast now has a direct integration with ConvertKit, which means you can connect your account and set up some creative new automations!
To get started, go to your ConvertKit account page and copy your API Secret:
Now go to your Crowdcast integrations page, scroll down to ConvertKit, paste your API Secret, and click "connect."
And that's it! Your accounts are now connected.
How it works
Have you used Zapier to connect apps? If so, you'll feel right at home.
The Crowdcast automation rules are designed to follow the same workflow and language as Zapier, so a "rule" is equivalent to a "zap."
Each rule has a Name, Trigger, Filter and Action.
- This is the name of your rule, make it descriptive and easy to understand.
- The trigger is an event that is "triggered" in Crowdcast. These are things like "Asked a question" or "Missed Live event". In this example the trigger, "Attended Live" happens at the end of the event if an attendee was live in the event.
- The filter lets your limit the rule to apply only for certain Crowdcast events or attendees. In the example above we're limiting our rule to apply to all events where the Event URL has the term "theawesomeshow."
- The action is an action that you take in ConvertKit. These are things like "tag a subscriber" or "update a custom field". In the example above we're tagging the attendee who shows up live with the tag "attended-live."
- Just like Zapier, these are multi-step rules. This means that one trigger in Crowdcast can actually take multiple actions in ConvertKit. Best of all, you can create as many rules as you want.
This all sounds great, but how can it work for you? Here are a few examples of ways you use the Crowdcast integration to its full potential:
1) Personalized follow ups with attendees
When your live event ends, you can tag attendees based on whether or not they showed up.
First create 2 tags in ConvertKit, "attended-live" and "missed-live", to track each group accordingly.
Next, create 2 rules for the when the event ends to tag your attendees appropriately.
That's it! Now when your crowdcast ends, your attendees will be tagged with one of these 2 tags and your subscribers will be amazed that you knew if they attended.
You can use this with a Visual Automation to follow up with subscribers or manually send a broadcast to the two segments.
Note: If you go the manual route, make sure to untag the subscribers from "attended-live" and "missed-live" before your next event so you can repeat the process then.
Scroll down to Pro-tips to see how you can direct your readers to the right Crowdcast in the follow up.
2) Thank attendees who asked questions
One of the unique features of Crowdcast is the realtime voting and time-stamping system for handling Q&A. Attendees can submit and upvote questions long before the event so you already have a set of questions sorted and waiting when you go live. When the event ends, you'll get unique shareable links to each answered question.
A trigger you might want to set up to build a more personalized followup is "Asked a question."
To do this, create a new rule in Crowdcast for when the attendee asks a question.
For the action, tag the attendee as "Asked a Question."
Note: You'll need to create tags or custom fields ahead of time in ConvertKit.
Now when a user asks a question, they'll get tagged in ConvertKit as "Asked a Question." And when following up after the crowdcast event ends, you can send emails to:
- To attendees who showed up and asked questions
- To those who showed up and didn't ask a question
- And to those who didn't show up
As you can imagine, getting an email like "Hey Sam! Thanks for your question in the event today...." is really likely to get a response!
3) Follow up on purchase call-to-action
Crowdcast has the ability to display a call-to-action button to send attendees to your product or service. When a participant clicks on the button, a trigger is fired in ConvertKit.
This is ideal for webinars and livestreams where you're leading the conversation toward buying something. You can make use of Visual Automations to follow up with attendees after the event to nudge them along.
To set that up, create a rule in Crowdcast that tags a user as "Clicked CTA."
Back in your automations, after the event ends, add a delay of a day and a condition to see if they clicked the call to action. Then send out an email sequence to follow up with them.
Add another step to pull the subscriber further down the workflow if they did purchase so they don't get the emails nudging them to buy. Here's what the automation could look like:
Pro tip: Use Smart URLs
You'll find yourself directing your readers to your recently ended or upcoming events in Crowdcast pretty often. To help with that, smart URLs you can be used in your automation templates to drive readers to the right place.
Let's take a look at the crowdcast channel "creatorcast" to demonstrate. You can use the following URLs to get to the right event:
- crowdcast.io/creatorcast/last-ended → Takes you to the latest public event that has ended. Useful when sending an email out just after an event ends to direct people to the replay.
- crowdcast.io/creatorcast/next-scheduled → Takes you to the next public event that's scheduled to go live. Useful when directing your audience to join you in your next live event.
- crowdcast.io/creatorcast/last-scheduled → Takes you to the last of your public events scheduled in the future.
- crowdcast.io/creatorcast/latest → Takes you to the latest public event whether or not it is scheduled in the future or has already ended.
Just change "creatorcast" to your username to try it out.
The Crowdcast integration opens up a lot of new opportunities for you to strengthen your relationship with your community over live Q&As, talk-shows, presentations, workshops and more.
If you get stuck, send Team Crowdcast a message at email@example.com — they're always happy to help!
New to Crowdcast and want to try it out? Use the coupon "crowdcast-loves-convertkit" to get 30% off for 2 months of crowdcast.